Saturday, August 14, 2010

Smashing Success...

Smashing because I am smashed. Like roadkill. Success because I pulled through with 10 miles. For the sake of transparency, I actually was on the road for 10.25 miles, but I walked the last half mile. If you want to tell me that I did not actually complete 10 miles, I've got a roundhouse kick a la Chuck Norris with your name on it.

One of the reasons that I was really pleased with my effort today is that I really thought there was no way I was going to be able to go past nine once I made it to mile seven. It really wasn't until about 8.8 miles that I changed my mind. There was a glorious bit of cloud cover, and I got a nice cool swig of water at one of the fountains that is shaded and actually has water cooler than what one would typically bathe in.

When I looked down at the Garmin at 9.46 miles with a 3rd of a mile left to go, I felt so accomplished to have been able to go that far as hot and sunny as it was today. I was also proud that I made the smart decision to actually drag my butt out of bed at a decent time, 6:30. Big step for me.

This afternoon I will celebrate my first double digit run in over six months with some back-to-school shopping, one of the few highlights of this time of year. I will go...as soon as I can move...

No comments:

Post a Comment